Oral health care considerations for patients with allergies:
- Ascertain the type of allergy.
- If a drug allergy is present, avoid drugs from the same family.
- Be aware of drug allergies that may indicate possible allergy to another family of medications. For example, allergy to penicillin is associated with a 15% chance of having an allergic reaction to cephalosporins.
- When reported by a patient, determine whether a true allergy to local anesthetics is present. Most reported cases are associated with preservatives used with the local anesthetic. In such cases, use local anesthesia without preservatives.
- Address true latex allergies. Be aware of all latex-containing material, not just gloves, used in a dental setting.