Oral health care considerations for patients with arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat):
- Patients with the following arrhythmias need medical consultations before dental care:
high-grade atrioventricular block,
symptomatic ventricular arrhythmias,
- Address any underlying comorbid disease or condition.
- Address the patient’s stress and anxiety levels.
- Follow anticoagulation therapy protocol when indicated.
- When appropriate, see specific information for atrial fibrillation.
- Avoid the use of epinephrine in patients with high-grade atrioventricular block arrhythmias, symptomatic ventricular arrhythmias, or supraventricular arrhythmias.
- Ventricular fibrillation is a medical emergency.