Oral health care considerations for patients with arthritis:
- Use antibiotic prophylaxis for patients with total joint replacements.
- Use the glucocorticosteroid replacement protocol for patients with glucocorticosteriod-induced adrenal suppression.
- Before prescribing analgesics to a patient, address the patient’s present medications to avoid adverse events associated with NSAID toxicity.
- Address possible medication-induced oral dryness.
- Any dental treatment plan needs to address a patient’s ability to achieve adequate oral hygiene and the dexterity necessary to place and remove full and removable partial dentures.