Oral health care considerations for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease:
- Defer elective dental care for patients with unstable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Introduce or support a smoking cessation program.
- Use a pulse oximeter to monitor oxygen saturation levels.
- Have an extra oxygen tank available. If extra oxygen is needed, only supply 2-3 L/min.
- Address possible adrenal suppression.
- Avoid barbiturates, narcotics, antihistamines, and anticholinergics.
- Avoid erythromycin in patients taking theophylline.