Oral health care considerations for patients with compensated congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Do not provide elective dental care within 30 days after hospitalization for CHF.
- When lowering the back of the dental chair, pay careful attention to the patient’s breathing.
- Be aware of possible orthostatic hypotension.
- Use additional pain and anxiety control as needed.
- Avoid long-term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- If present (usually secondary to medications), address oral dryness and gingival overgrowth.