Oral health care considerations for Crohn’s disease:
- Frequent recalls and topical fluoride applications to address increased incidence of caries.
- Oral ulcerations can be treated with topical steroid mouth rinses.
- Treat oral candidiasis with topical antifungal medications.
- Patients may present with labial, buccal, or gingival swellings,and granulomatous cheilitis.
- Address possible adrenal suppression with glucocorticosteroid replacement therapy.
- Do not prescribe aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen. These medications may worsen symptoms of the disease.