Oral health care considerations for patients with viral hepatitis:
- No special infection control measures are necessary beyond standard precautions.
- All health care workers at risk of exposure to patients’ blood and saliva should be immunized against HBV.
- Consult patient’s physician to determine the severity of liver damage.
- For patients with liver disease, be aware of possible hemostatic abnormalities, as well as impaired drug metabolism.
- Do not use acetaminophen or acetaminophen-containing medications in patients with severe liver disease.
- Avoid the use of mouth rinses with a high alcohol content.
- Check neutrophil count for patients treated with interferon. If the count is <1,000 cells/mm3, consider antibiotic prophylaxis.